What Should Be Considered Before and After Hair Transplantation?
In today's conditions, where aesthetic concerns are increasing, hair is visually important. Some people experience hair loss for various reasons. At this point, hair transplantation comes into play. Hair transplantation, also known as hair transplantation; It is the transfer of hair follicles called grafts in the hairy area extending from the upper border of both ears to the point where the nape begins. Hair transplantation, which is a serious operation, has points that you should pay attention to. In our blog post, “What to do before and after hair transplantation?” We will answer the question.
Pre-Hair Transplantation Process
You should have an idea for the process you will experience before and after hair transplantation and you should know the whole procedure. As a result of the research you will do before hair transplantation, you may encounter information pollution. Therefore, you should definitely seek expert opinion. In order to get results from hair transplantation, you should know that not only a good operation process, but also many factors are effective. We can list these factors as follows;
- The patient's graft quality,
- rotary field density,
- Alcohol and cigarette use.
In this process, first of all, how much hair transplantation you need is determined in order to get the right result. During the inspection, the existing clearance is determined.
Things to Consider Before Hair Transplant
We can list the things you should pay attention to before hair transplantation as follows;
- Smoking should be stopped 1 week before the operation. If not, use should be reduced. Because smoking affects the healing process.
- Alcohol use should be stopped 1 week before the operation.
- Caffeine-containing beverages such as coffee should be avoided.
- Green tea consumption should be stopped 1 week before the hair transplant operation.
- Spicy foods should be avoided 1-2 days before the procedure.
- In the first interview for the operation, the medications used for chronic diseases such as diabetes, blood pressure and heart should be mentioned to the physician.
- Anticoagulant drugs and vitamins such as aspirin should be discontinued 1 week before the operation. These drugs can cause increased bleeding.
- Medicines and lotions applied to the scalp and hair should be stopped 1 month before the operation.
- Hair should be washed and clean before the operation. Hair products such as gel and spray should not be used.
- Breakfast should be made on the day of the operation.
- Comfortable clothes that will not rub against the head should be preferred on the day of the operation. Clothing such as shirts is recommended.
Things to Consider After Hair Transplant
In the recovery process after hair transplantation, there are points to be considered as before. We can list the things you need to pay attention to in this process, which is very important for a healthy healing process, as follows;
- You should not smoke for 7 days after the procedure.
- Alcohol should not be consumed for 7 days after the procedure.
- After the operation, blood thinners should not be used.
- After the procedure, you should not go to places such as baths or saunas for 3 months.
- You should not sunbathe and go to the solarium for 3 months after the procedure. It is very important not to be exposed to direct sunlight for the first 14 days.
- After the procedure, one should not enter the pool and the sea for a period of 1 month.
- Sports should not be done and heavy lifting should not be done for the first 1 month after the procedure.
- You can take short walks and do a small amount of physical activity immediately after the procedure. It is important to avoid sweating at this point.
- Sexual activity is not recommended for 14 days.
- Hand contact with the hair should be avoided after hair transplantation. Because contact with bare hands can cause infection.
- Washing products and medicines given for the first 8 days after the procedure should be used. Shampoo and lotion given for the first 14 days should be used, and medications should be taken at the right time.
- A high pillow should be used for the first 3 days after the operation, and even sleep with 2 pillows. This is important for the swelling in the head area to go down. It is especially important that the hair transplant area does not touch the pillow. That's why you shouldn't lie down. If the application has been made to the top of the head, a towel should be rolled up on the nape area and the head should be raised from the pillow.
- The headband given by the doctor prevents swelling in the head area. The headband is worn after the first wash. Until now, the bandage applied after the procedure has the same function. The first wash before the headband is done in the clinic. The headband is worn for 2 days.
- Do not sleep with a headband. The headband should be kept clean and expanded manually when removing.
- A hat is provided to protect the scalp against the sun and other weather conditions. This hat should be worn when the weather is suitable and indoors. The use of the hat starts after 5 days and the hat should not be placed on the head boringly.
- Hair is not washed on the first day after the operation. On the 3rd day, washing is done in the clinic. On the 4th and 10th days, home washing is done.
Pain and Edema After Hair Transplantation
Since it is a surgical procedure, it is normal to experience pain and edema. Mild pain may occur for a few days after the operation. Prescription pain relievers should be used. Swelling can be seen on the scalp, forehead, and occasionally in the eyes. This swelling will go down in 3-5 days. This is why it is important to use the medicines prescribed by the doctor.
Bath After Hair Transplant
The following steps should be followed in the post-operative washing process at home;
- Lotion and oil given before washing are used. This step should be applied before each wash. The lotion is applied lightly with fingertips. It should not be applied by rubbing. It is kept for 15-20 minutes.
- Lotion and oil applied with warm water are cleaned. The water intensity should also be light.
- The shampoo is foamed by hand and applied with up and down hand movements. It is applied to the donor area with the fingertip.
- No towel or dryer is used in the hair transplant area, it is expected to dry on its own.